Sunday, December 4, 2011

Re-Thinking Beauty

I have had the same Super Cuts hairdo for the last 10 years.  I am not edgy.  Or arty.  Or blessed with particularly good hair.  What I am is cheap.  I also figure that as a chubby, almost 40 mom, my "pretty" years are well behind me.  My beauty routine revolves around trying not to look schlumpy and buying online tall clothes at JC Penney and Eddie Bauer (it's always a crapshoot, not being able to try on the clothes, but NOBODY sells tall clothes in the store...absolute height-ism if you ask me).

Yet when My-Friend-Who-Shall-Remain-Nameless (that's the moniker she agreed to), came by with her new, asymmetrical haircut, I admit: I was jealous.  She looked trendy!  She looked edgy!  She looked hot!



Had I written off my youth too quickly?  Should I re-think my $15 haircut cap?  Do I have a little coo coo ca choo Mrs. Robinson in me yet?

My-Friend-Who-Shall-Remain-Nameless has inspired me. 

I've re-set my haircut cap to $25. 

Baby steps.

6 comments:

  1. You should go on up to $28, that's where the fun really begins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom was looking over my shoulder as I was reading today's blog. She said, "What's that?"

    "My friend's blog."

    "Hmmph, she's got a lot to do."

    This from an 80 year-old woman who's day revolves around Judge Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll go back to the head shaved look after St. Baldrick. Besides being a wonderful charity and worthwhile cause, it's a cut that has saved me hearing from the wife..."nice bald" spot as she walks away laughing. Oh...what marital bliss. WTF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am digging your friend's haircut. I myself could never pull that off, as my hair is as fine and wispy as, well, what's another word for "cloud"? Yeah, think cloud. The shorter it goes, the balder I look. For now, it looks long and wispy (some, mean-girl types might say "stringy") and that, to me, is better than bald. Obviously, your lovely friend was blessed with thick beautiful hair the color of chestnuts and German chocolate, hair that cooperates and understands aerodynamic engineering. My hair, however, would laugh at such a cut, and it would come off looking like I'd had one too many appletinis, and grabbed a pair of scissors and a fun-house mirror and attempted to do the cut myself.

    You would see me in baseball hats. A lot.

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  5. esbboston - don't tempt me...it could be a slippery slope.

    Anonymous Atheist-Friend - Tell your mom to shush and make me some gumbo.

    Maplewood - I love St. Baldrick's! Good for you for doing that!

    MOV - Ha! Me, too. My sister got the good hair. I got hair that deflates any time I walk past a puddle. sucks. Just finished my post for tomorrow! Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Marianne...nothing better than an ego boost!! I gotta tell ya...I am not spending much on my hair. Levi at Colour Line in Geneva is the best and only charges $35. I promise, the $10 extra is worth it...he gives an absolutely orgasmic head massage when he is conditining your hair. I feel like I have to go home and tell Ed I cheated on him!

    ReplyDelete