Friday, November 18, 2011

Checklist

We'll be heading out to a family wake in a few hours, and I need to put together a checklist so I don't forget anything.  Feel free to post comments on anything I might be overlooking.
  • Bring a box of toys for all the children:  Given that I'm unlikely to see any of these toys again, I'm debating between the stash of toys I was saving for Goodwill and the stash I was saving for my garage sale.  Oh the humanity.
  • Wear a girdle.  As Miniature-Friend commented: pantylines are so unnecessary in this day and age.
  • Decide whether the kids' sympathy cards ("sorry for your LOST and please don't get sick and go to heaven") are appropriate to hand over to the family.  I won't even talk about the pictures.
  • Make sure I have all the Bible readings in my purse to distribute to the church speakers.  Things disappear forever once they're put in my purse.  Perhaps I hand them over to Joe?
  • Bring the Fisher Price clock ornament for my sister.  For me, turning over my new favorite ornament is the ultimate sacrifice, and Megan likes Fisher Price stuff almost as much as I do.  I figure it's a good pick-me-up.  MOV described how she and her sister used to spend hours selecting Little People before engaging in their pretend play.  My sister and I used to do the same thing.  Except Megan somehow always managed to get the coveted little red-headed girl when I wasn't looking. 

  • Beg the children to not call the wake  a "party."  They're Irish.  There will be food and beer and kids.  I understand their confusion, but I must once again reinforce to Jack that he can NOT have his next birthday party at a funeral parlor. 
Alright, I think that's it.  Once I find my flask that is.

4 comments:

  1. When we got together after my grandpa died, my kids totally thought it was a party.
    Although, I suppose it was even more confusing since we had already been planning to have a family birthday party that day and it had been on the calendar for a month.

    I say take the Goodwill toys - then if there's anything left afterwards, you can drop them off on your way home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss. My dad died recently and our grandkids (and us, if we're being totally honest) enjoyed the get-together afterwards. We saw siblings we hadn't seen in long time and reminiced. We took a family portrait and one of just us girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you for taking my exhausted little boy home. We are down one red bear so keep an eye out. I think I talked your husband's ear off when I got home. I loved my gift. I am the redheaded little girl. You missed all the girls trying to move Lewis' hands and debbating over whether or not he was still breathing and it was a total Ashton Kutcher "You've just been punked" moment. I love you. Please don't stop telling me how to put one foot in front of the other.

    Love

    WILF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skwishee - Kids LOVE mourning rituals. I can't blame them. There are cookies. I took your advice on Goodwill - thank you!!

    Grace - Thank you. No matter the circumstances, getting family together always holds an element of "coming home."

    Meg - I'm just glad you finally ate! I've already contacted a fat-transplant doctor and he's willing to suck out 15 pounds from me for you tomorrow. Kids are funny - that's how you'll get through. And once I get the little red head girl back from the photographer, she's all yours!

    ReplyDelete