Friday, November 4, 2011

Holly Days This Saturday!

I was so excited.  Chicago Parent told me I was going to have a sentence or two in their next paper edition of the widely-distributed magazine.  For those out-of-towners, Chicago Parent is a free magazine that just about every Chi-Town parent has read at least once.  When the November edition came out, I grabbed a stack at the boys' ice hockey arena and called my mom.  She was equally excited and told me to save one for my 91-year old Nana.

That's me.  Right next to the food blogger.

It really doesn't take much to impress my family.  My mom still tells people how I won the Bible Bowl in 6th grade.  And we all know how well that worked out.

As I read the rest of the November copy, a familiar face stared back at me.  Holly.  My across-the-street neighbor.  I can see right into her living room and I used to be able to check football scores on her family's flat screen.  This was before we got our own flat screen and we were really jealous.  Even now, ours is still smaller. 

I'm not bitter or anything.

Way to steal my thunder, Holly.  My little page 12 two-line mention was nothing compared to the full page center-spread.

She's even got a better photo, cute kid, and really big dimples.  Hmph.
 
But then I started reading.  Holly's youngest son, Nate, has Down Syndrome and Holly has been committed to raising sensitivity and funds for a national organization that supports raising these wonderful children in their own homes.  I have gone to several of her Holly Days events which gathers unique vendors from all over who agree to donate 10% of their proceeds to the National Association for Down Syndrome. 

Neighbors used to help host the event in their own homes, but apparently the popularity and Holly's knack for thinking big have resulted in this year's grand affair being held at the Beverly Arts Center on November 5th from 6-10pm.

So fine, Holly.  You can have the center spread and I will happily see you on November 5th and marvel at your energy, drive, and super cute haircut. But this doesn't mean I'm going to stop coveting your awesome t.v.

Seriously.  You can see it from space.

Click here for write-up on Holly Days and full details.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Someday you will get that TV, and on that day, you will watch television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gweenbrick - it's important to have dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I laughed then I cried....wow I made your bog twice. You left me humbled, happy and a bit creeped out that you can see my tv.....truly excited that you noticed and you get it!!!! Wow a new warrior sister. Love your posts and now all I can say is I wanna be you when I grow up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Hol! You don't want to be me. I'm inappropriate and thoughtless. You, my friend, are compelling and have class. And I still want your tv.

    ReplyDelete