Monday, June 11, 2012

Seriously. They Asked Me to Review ALCOHOL.


You guys have no idea how excited I am! First, I was asked to do a review for a brand spanking new product: Michelob ULTRA Light Cider page on BlogHer.com. For bloggers (and particularly for bloggers who consume alcoholic beverages on a semi-regular basis after carpool), this felt like quite the coup.

Plus, I just knew I’d feel super fancy drinking cider.

And then my power! My POWER! I would be one of the first people to provide insight on a new beverage (sponsor site). Rarely do I consider myself on the cutting edge of trends. Instead, I usually find out about the “cool” things on the downslide, like when Saturday Night Live starts making fun of them.
My second big thrill came when I busted open the cider. It was totally tasty. Not too sweet. And gluten-free so my Celiac Disease friend Dr. Stephanie and I will be cracking a few when I visit her in Milwaukee for Irish Fest this year (I hope she forgives me for calling her my "Celiac Disease Friend"). Even my husband, a man who would normally consider ciders “beneath” him took a sip and remarked that it wasn’t half bad. For Joe, that was as hearty an endorsement as the guy has ever given anything. It’s practically the Academy Awards of compliments for Joe.

The cider has a very mellow taste, kind of like a muted fresh apple. No bite. Silky smooth. And with only 120 calories, I didn’t feel too guilty having a couple before bed. This might be the start of a regular habit. Or perhaps just a continuation of my current lifestyle. Without naming names, most of my loyal followers know what my usual drink is, but I will definitely say that Michelob Ultra Light Cider might be taking its place this summer.

So there you have it. My first official review. And it was for alcohol. It’s like I’m being rewarded for all those times I didn’t swear at the playground.

Thanks, Michelob! Great product!

Oh, and the Review Gods also asked me to come up with a favorite summer meal or activity that I think would go best with Michelob ULTRA Cider. I’m thinking breathing. Walking maybe. Or perhaps making breakfast.


But if you guys have better ideas, please leave a comment!