Friday, February 22, 2013

Tonight? We Do Bourbon.

For those unfamiliar with the southside of Chicago and its many unique offerings, there are certain statements that leave outsiders a bit perplexed:

"Mary-Margaret is making her First Communion this weekend.  I'm going to rely on bourbon because hosting a party for 300 guests stresses me out."

or

"Did you hear about poor Mick McDuffy?  He's full of cancer.  They're putting something together with bourbon to help him."

and

"After the wake and funeral, I understand we're doing bourbon from 2 to 5."

You may be wondering why everyone on the southside of Chicago is such a whiskey fan.  

"Bourbon" actually refers to Bourbon Street, a facility home to countless fundraisers, post-sacrament parties, and most pressing:

My next book-signing!

TONIGHT!  FRIDAY!  FEBRUARY 22!


My banner.  I totally have a banner now. 

The wonderful folks at Barbara Vick Early Childhood center are throwing their yearly fundraiser this evening from 7 pm to 11 pm.  To get into the special Barbara Vick section, there is a $35 wristband you can buy which entitles you to food and drink.  If you just want to hang out at facility itself (plenty of bars, bands, and people), that is free. 

Yet whoever buys an autographed copy of Epic Mom will also be supporting the school as $5 from every sale will go directly back to Barbara Vick.

And I'm even bringing along the final few FIRST edition copies along with plenty of second editions:

First edition (left) Second Edition (right).  Can you spot the differences?  It's like Highlights Magazine.
The back is easier:

See that coffee stain?  It was intended to be funny & reinforce all the imperfections of motherhood.  Several people brought their books back to the bookstore asking to exchange them.  They thought the ring stain was REAL, so.....

2nd edition?  No stain. 
The first edition also has a few spacing errors that make it just that much more unique and a must-have collectible.  Who knows how many tens of dollars it will be worth one day? 

So if you're heading up for the fundraiser, or just looking for a cool place to hang out, stop by and grab the book that my Nana is calling "A Must-Read for 2013."

And if anyone out there in the blogosphere wants to order one of the few remaining first edition copies (no longer available on Amazon), email me at mostlymarianne@gmail.com.  I'll give you the same special pricing that I am using for the fundraiser and the book will be signed and mailed to you.

Here's to a great night of Bourbon!

23 comments:

  1. Hmm, there is a great Leroy Brown song about the southside of Chicago and I can imagine this song at your event. Also, I dare you to wear a bridesmaid dress to this Bourbon Street Bash.

    I got the first edition with its coffee stain from Amazon. Was it your idea about the coffee stain, or that of Julie Harrison, your co-author? Or some editor? Was it an accident of the photographer or the publisher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Julie's idea and I loved it! Sadly, I think we executed it a bit too well and it looked just too real!

      Delete
  2. BA ha ha about the coffee stain. I probably wouldn't have brought it back even if I thought it was real.

    Congratulations on your banner and your book signing!

    www.MommaCandy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ShaunaQ! I like your kind of commitment to a purchase! (;

      Delete
  3. Your Nana is a smart woman AND should be in charge of your bookings.
    I love a good Bourbon drink.
    What am I saying......I love a good drink.
    Just so you know, I am starting a fan club for you up here in the frozen tundra of the North burbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pass that along to Nana!

      I can't wait to hit your neck of the woods. I'm a-comin'. I promise.

      Delete
  4. I love the coffee stain!!!!! A banner you say (and show)? Is there a float in the works? I can only assume that you arrive at the signings in a paper flower festooned mothership (a limo would be far too cliche...yet still very cool)! Have a blast...in your red dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow. That image just completely cracked me up! A flower-festooned mothership! Awesome! Make it happen! :-)

      Delete
    2. I thought about the dress, tried on the too-small/short volunteer shirt and opted for mom clothes. Though the paper flower festooned mothership was probably a better way to go!

      Delete
  5. Ha! The coffee stain is icing on the cake.
    Have fun tonite. Do you want to borrow my Junky Movie Star outfit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with it! Sounds like a great place to do it at!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like another chance for you to wear that dress! Congrats and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from Chicago, was born and went to Columbia so I get it. Congrats again on your book. What an exciting time for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you left us all behind. Or was there a warrant out for your arrest? Trust me, they never come after you. (; Come back to Chicago!

      Delete
    2. No, I was dragged here kicking and screaming. I still am.

      Delete
  9. More excitement with the book! I wish I were local, cause I'd be there? Who doesn't want to spend the night with bourbon for a good cause? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hope it goes well! I wish I was in the chicago area!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at BOURBON. Wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete