Monday, April 23, 2012

The Perfect Game

My husband wouldn't even tell me why I needed to come downstairs to watch the Sox game.  It's an baseball old superstition.  You don't ever say the words "no hitter" or "perfect game" while it's in progress.  It draws the attention of the gods.  It creates an immediate end to the dream scenario.  It's the quickest way to get kicked out of a Chicago sports bar or shushed by your husband.

Being ridiculously superstitious myself, I stayed upstairs and listened to the remainder of the game.  I couldn't watch.  I heard my husband groan when Philip Humber got behind on the count in the 9th inning, 3-0.  I heard my kids scream as AJ  Pierzynski scrambled for the ball during the final out.  When I knew the game was finally over, I came downstairs as the commentators noted that for only the 21st time in all of professional baseball, a perfect game had been thrown.

Beyond the talented young pitcher, I found several other perfect moments during the aftermath.  The Seattle Mariners fans stayed.  They applauded the kid as though he was one of their own.  They moved past the usual rivalry and pettiness of opposing sports teams, and cheered wildly for the young Texas native.   It was no longer a fierce competition between cities, but instead a happy celebration of a kid who just done good.

Humber is expecting a baby boy with his wife very soon.  He worried about the excitement being too much for the mom-to-be who was watching the game from home.  He thanked God because that's what a lot of kids from Texas are taught to do when good things happen.         

So on a sunny Spring day in Seattle, a reminder was handed out.  Grace and kindness are not extinct.  The ability to appreciate others' success still lives.  And as Humber talked about his baby boy with joy and excitement, I was reminded of the promise within us all. 

A perfect game.  A perfect day.

10 comments:

  1. It is funny, this has left me imagining what it would be like to do something perfect...objectively, subjectively, undeniably perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really made me smile. I love it when professional athletes - and their fans - remember to be good sports and supportive, even when the other team wins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! (and I bet you love sports movies as much as I do, and it has nothing to do with a love of sports!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent a text to my wife who was in the bedroom to come watch. She didn't. So I blabbed about it all for the next hour. I usually got the, yes dear, ok dear, wow honey.

    Then I tried to explain it to my 9 year old. Wasn't expecting the conversation to last that long.

    I heard the Seattle fans were awesome and got behind Humber as early as the 7th or 8th inning. The Seattle fans I talked to were all, it sucked that it happened against us, but it was pretty awesome to watch.

    And from what I hear, Humber is a very humble guy, so it couldn't have happened to a better player.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post gave me hope in humanity. It's nice to hear about people supporting each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea - I started a whole 2nd part about what I do perfectly (it wasn't a long list) and decided to omit it. Laundry doesn't really compare.

    Erica - Thanks!

    Stephanie - it's sad that we don't see more of it, but I suppose that's why we appreciate it when it does happen.

    Kelly - I gotta be honest. I love sports AND all sports movies (We are Marshall, Rudy, Major League, etc.). It's kinda why my husband married me. Thanks!

    Jeff - I love a good sports story, and this one seemed to have all the necessary components. Your 9 year old will appreciate this all one day!

    itsadomelife- The game gave me hope in sports. Sometimes my faith wavers, but then people surprise me. It's grand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful post. Humanity is just so perplexing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect post.

    Thanks for sharing your experience with Humber's perfect game!

    Well said.

    P.S. You might want to link this up to Lori's Perfect Moment Monday post for April here: http://writemindopenheart.com/2012/04/perfect-moment-monday-core-exercise.html How ironic that you wrote this on the 4th Monday of the month and talked all about perfect moments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie - You said it!

    Kathy - checking out link now - thanks!

    ReplyDelete