Sunday, April 29, 2012

Finding Nemo

After two semi-disappointing attempts to locate a restaurant that serves great fish tacos, Joe decided to man up and make something at home.

Do you like how I used "man up" to describe a guy cooking?  When Jack was receiving speech therapy at 2, the lady who worked with him gave him a magnetic board where a mom was in the kitchen cooking. Jack shook his head vehemently and spoke a rare sentence:

"NOOOOO.  No mommy der.  DADDY goes der."

He then plucked the mommy magnet from the kitchen and threw her across the room, replacing her with the male version.

Anyway, Joe scoured the internet for the best fish taco recipes and by God, he did it:

Yes - those would be the same Target plates I bought when I moved out at 22.  I haven't broken a single one.

The combination of the spicy fish, creamy avocado, and crunchy cabbage was perfection.  The lime helped add some zestiness, and a weird orange sauce put the whole thing right over the top.

Joe has promised to make these on a weekly basis until we eventually get sick of them. 

Or die of scombroid poisoning.

------------------------

The Recipe (a Joe-modified version of the one on Food.com)

Ingredients

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 chopped green onion
1 package taco seasoning (divide into 2 parts)
1 lb tilapia, cod or 1 lb white fish (I think Joe cubed these all first into small square pieces, and we used tilapia)
1-2 limes for squeezing juice onto cabbage
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
Warmed taco shells

Toppings
Shredded cabbage
Chopped tomatoes
Lime Juice
Taco sauce
Avocado

Directions:
  • Mix sour cream, mayo, cilantro and 2 tablespoons seasoning mix in small bowl
  • Combine fish, vegetable oil, garlic powder, chili powder, lemon juice and remaining seasoning mix in medium bowl; pour into large skillet
  • Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork
Put fish mixture into warmed shell, add toppings & sauce.  Squeeze lime juice over cabbage for extra zing.

12 comments:

  1. Could you link to the recipe before you succumb to the scombroid? Or give me the recipe at the bus stop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what are the hours of Joe's Fish Taco Restaurant? Do you take reservations? How about family of 4 at 6 PM ...

    And we promise not to eat off of Jack's plate ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lawd. I have never hada fish taco. Anytime I say "fish taco," my husband can't stop laughing. I'm assuming there's some 'guy slang' involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't tell us these are the best ever and not give the recipe. I won't be at your bus stop, so online would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you've found success at home. Our best luck with fish tacos have always been Brett's version. We should take another vacation together where Brett and Joe can just cook for us the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was able to substitute ground turkey in our tacos,but I think they might notice fish! I have so many recipes, but nobody to try them with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmmmmm......fish tacos. Me? I'm having yogurt and a granola bar for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Way - Just added it to today's blog! Now I want another fish taco....

    Linda - I'm thinking Thursday?

    Kirby - You need to get to the bottom of that, now I'm curious.

    Lori - Just added it! But it made me hungry.

    Stephanie - August looks good for us! I'm thinking a Michigan cottage with a good kitchen? I still think fondly of Brett's coconut-rice thingie that he made a few years back!

    Andrea - we told the kids it was chicken. They bought it. Worth a try?

    Mrs. Tuna - That's what I SHOULD be eating. Hope it was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking half my kids would turn their noses up, but that's normal for any new recipe. Sounds scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't need the recipe, I need an invite for dinner. I will bring wine and homemade cookies. I will be waiting by the phone.
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I am happily married, but still: Does Joe have a brother?

    ReplyDelete