Friday, December 21, 2012

Marianne's Excellent Adventure (aka "Coca-Cola's Balanced Living Workshop")


I was compensated for my participation in Coca-Cola's Balanced Living Workshop, but my thoughts and views are my own.

When Coca-Cola invited me to their two-day Balanced Living Workshop, I was giddy. Two days away from laundry and the kids! I would get to hang out with other Chicago-area mom bloggers! There was a cocktail party! 

Don't tell them this, but they pretty much had me at "hello."

Here a picture of me with my new BFF Tracy from Just Another Mommy Blog and taken by my other new BFF Kari from A Grace Full Life.  For some odd reason, I gravitated towards the funny bloggers.  We can spot lunacy from 50 feet.

I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I am still surprised by the number of take-aways from the event. Our group worked out with celebrity fitness trainer Harley Pasternak who permanently destroyed my faith in the "Sit-Up." Apparently, sit-ups just reinforce all the slouchy things we do throughout the day (sitting at a computer, driving, etc.).

Harley taught us to focus more on bending the other way with exercises like "The Superman" and "The Plank." I'm still sore, but by God, I've been better-postured since then and try to do a few each day for good measure. (All pictures, unless indicated, are courtesy of The Coca-Cola Company and Bruce Powell Photography)


Because ORANGE is such a good color choice while exercising and being photographed.  In my defense, the outfit was on sale AND I had a 30% off coupon.

Harley was kind of dreamy. Here he is photographed with someone who is NOT me - Kathy Benson from Bereaved and Blessed and local Beverly mom.  I knew I should've taken her down.

The dietitian also provided tips for getting my boys to eat healthier foods.  She suggested incorporating meals with lots of choices (salad bars, potato bars, etc.). My kids are total control freaks, as is their mother. So we've never enjoyed relaxed meals together without someone clamoring for something else.

What do you suppose happened when I laid out a salad bar with various options? Monumental hit.  The boys got to control their veggie and dressing selections while I got to control my aggravation. Smiles abounded. I will definitely be incorporating this idea again.

One of the most impressive workshops included a session with Coca-Cola Senior Manager of Education and Outreach, Joan Koelemay. Joan was understanding of the many questions, concerns, and issues that moms have regarding artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, and the impact of sugary drinks.   Plus, she was super-smart AND she thought I was funny. I kind of wanted to adopt her.

I think we were supposed to cut pictures out of magazines, but they had NEW SHARPIES.  For someone like me, new markers are practically crack cocaine.

Anyway, a clear message arose: moderation is integral to good health. It is better to indulge in two Oreos to satiate a sweet tooth than to eat an entire box of "low fat" cookies. Sugar and fat are not the enemy, but portion size is. 

Portion size extends to alcohol consumption.  This picture was taken at the cocktail party.  And why am I the one with the biggest smile?  I'll let you figure that one out.

Another interesting fact I took away from Joan's session was an explanation on why I have super-low blood pressure despite a rather high-sodium diet: CALCIUM. My cereal-as-dinner approach and resulting calcium intake have evidently been blunting sodium's impact on my blood pressure for years. Who knew?

I couldn't help but laugh when we headed to the grocery store and guess who Coke brought in to serve as nutritionist and shopping guide? Kim Kirchherr! You remember her, right? I met her when I brought doughnuts in for my big WGN interview, not realizing I'd be following the nutritionist expert Kim. It was another example of my gaffe-prone life.

Anyway, it was a fun and educational workshop that I feel extremely lucky to have been a part of. Will it impact the choices I make for my family going forward? Time will tell. But I did cut out a coupon for produce today.  And guess what I made for dinner last night:

Dan picked out the celery, Jack picked out the bean sprouts, and Joey wanted broccoli.  I do believe I may have brought the wrong baby home from the hospital with that last one...BROCCOLI??

Baby steps. 

Here's to a happy & healthy 2013 for all!

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photo credit, I feel sooo, I don't know, continental now!
    I loved meeting you and cannot wait to meet again.
    Maybe at a BlogHer party with mass quantities of alcohol so we can conspire to take over the world.
    Or talk about blogging.
    Your choice.
    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's go with both!

      It was so great to meet you, too!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great event and good time! Enjoyed reading your posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Notice how I am at the top of your post? Uh-huh, that's right. Now the girl-crush is DOCUMENTED on a POST and you cannot deny it.

    So glad I met you! Even if your hair is bouncy and you have cute dimples and you can reach things on shelves that I can barely see. Have a Merry Christmas and continue to stalk me, ok? Muwah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I ever tried to hide anything? You know I love you more than cream cheese.

      (Disclaimer: I have flat, limp hair. There is a LOT of hairspray involved in trying to give this mop any body. The dimples are also just areas on my face where the fat has caved in and left a dent).

      Merry Christmas to you & yours!

      Delete
  4. Your humor was just what all us uptight mom's needed to make the event fun! I loved meeting you and am jealous of your sharpie drawing skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to meet you - and I thought you were really funny and not uptight at all! Have a terrific holiday & hope to meet you again soon!

      Delete
  5. I too plan on eating healthier in 2013. I'm still searching for the cookbook that lists 100 ways to cook bamboo (they say it tastes like chicken). But my new diet will have to wait til I return from Disney World. Beginning next Wed til 01 Jan it's pigout time in the sun. Last time I checked, next Wed it's supposed to be 77 degrees down there.....yesss.

    MBF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous - but have a great time! I can't wait to hear about your adventure! My brother & his family are heading down there as well. Why is everyone leaving me....WHY????

      Delete
  6. It was great drinking with you and discovering someone with a similarly twisted view of parenting. Even if your view is a lot better. Next time I will wear taller shoes.

    SK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me your shoe size and I'll get you a fabulous pair at 50% off retail with an additional 20% off coupon and free shipping.

      I am fully aware I have a problem.

      It was great drinking with you, too!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fun workshop! And I feel the same way about new markers. Any new art supplies are cause for great excitement. I once bought "the big pack" of crayons "for my children " then proceeded to call them Mommy's Crayons.
    Why do I get the feeling that you would be the person that I would get in trouble with in workshops... or confirmation class... or a bar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Johi....we would never make it to a single workshop. We'd be shopping and hitting every Irish pub I could find.

      Delete
  8. False advertising IMO... I see that it's a Coke sponsored event and I'm thinking there's going to be soda and Snickers gift baskets. THEY MADE YOU EXERCISE? Tell me it was free :)
    (No really though, that sounds like a great time. I'll bet you left feeling pretty inspired!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nervous we'd be getting all cardio-y and sweaty. No bouncing = HUGE relief.

      A Snickers gift basket, by the way, would have been a brilliant idea. As long as they put some carrots in there as well, right? "Balanced."

      Delete
  9. Great post Mar, I think my favorite part is the photo captions! Honored to have made one them and you know you already tried to take me down... Love that your salad bar went over well and that your kids helped pick the veggies for your meal. Baby steps is right. Good for you!

    So glad the have shared this experience with you. Let me know when those Oreos are calling your name and I will come over with ice cream, I mean to bat them out of your hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll need to work on getting here in under 2 minutes for optimal effectiveness and Oreo-batting.

      I had so much fun with you, Kath! Can't wait to do BlogHer together!

      Delete
  10. It was so nice to meet you! I'm glad you posted that picture from the party because it reminded me how much I loved your dress. Can I have it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JC Penney provides such much in terms of developing a sophisticated wardrobe.

      It was great to meet you, too!

      Delete
  11. Such a fun post, my friend! And it was uber fabulous to meet your fabulousness in person!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great to finally meet you, too, Linda! I'm sorry we didn't get to hang out more (I blame my adult ADHD ..."ooooh....MOCHAS!." Next time, I'm kicking out whoever is sitting next to you and we'll catch up on poor Kirby. She really needs to score an invite to one of these nifty events ASAP.

      Delete
  12. I'm really not quite sure why we didn't spend more time together at the workshop. We'll have to remedy that because you are just a good egg. I remember walking past you when we were all starting our vision boards, and you were just freaking DIGGING IN with those markers.

    P.S. I'm glad Harley destroyed the sit up for us, because they suck. The end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still kicking myself for not sneaking a few new Sharpies into my purse. Damn Irish Catholic guilt. Those markers would've kept me from noticing Orland Bloom walking by.

      Sit ups do suck. But you totally didn't. Hope to catch up with you at BlogHer?

      Delete
  13. I would love to participate in something like that! Seems like a great time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am partial to the orange, as I live in Syracuse...home of THE orange!!!!! Your illustrating prowess was unknown to me until recently when I got my very own artwork--LOVE!

    ReplyDelete