Sunday, December 23, 2012

Banishing Bah Humbug

I will be the first to admit that I have not been in the best of holiday spirits.  Our living room has been in disarray due to some home repairs, and the chaos depleted my desire to decorate:

Now imagine the smell of wet dog.  And think dust.  LOTS of dust.  That would be my living room.
 
With an inch of plaster stuck to everything, I personified the word testy.  Additionally, Joe is set to work at the firehouse Christmas Day, so I knew all kid-related preparations would be left to yours truly.  My Grump-O-Meter hit an all-time high, and little Joey was happy to share his latest drawing, one that he christened "Crabby Mommy":

For a kid who doesn't draw a lot, I think he captured my face quite well.

But then things began to change.

First, Daniel arrived home from school this Friday (the last school day before Christmas) with a few meager contraband items that I'm sure were not sanctioned by CPS.  He promptly turned over the best one to his unpleasant mother:


Then I picked up Jack.  Jack has been studying the artwork of Marc Chagall, and proudly gifted me with his own stylistic interpretation of the artist:

He did this all without a single Sharpie.

Then things got really crazy.

Lillian, blogger and artist extraordinaire, sent me a few of her beautiful magnets that are quite literally mini-works of art:


More of Lillian's offerings can be found HERE.
Next up, Julie (co-author and blogger from Mothers of Brothers Blog) showed a gracious penchant for forgiveness.  She has been the first-hand recipient of my month-long cantankerous state.  She surprised me with this:

Because I'm a Leo.  And I roar.
And who do you suppose provided the biggest laugh at the most opportune time?  Why that would be Andrea from Maybe It's Just Me.  Andrea and I share a sick love of potty humor.  We're kind of one that way:

I've been threatening to wear this out of the house if the boys don't behave.  It's been working better than Santa Claus.

And just when I thought there could not be a single thing more that could lift me out of my funk, there was a knock at the door.  It was our neighbor Elisabeth bearing the most perfect of liquid medicines:

There were also cookies, but I'm taking The Fifth on what happened to those.
As last night drew to a close, our disheveled living room finally took shape.  While the ladder and paint preparations still remain out, the dust and debris of plastering disappeared:

I even hung stockings.
So thank you, world.  Thank you for showing a cranky (and slightly PMS-y) mom the beauty of human kindness and generosity.  I am embarrassed to admit that I am not as thoughtful and most of my gifts come in $10-$50 denomination gift cards to Target and Starbucks.  I am a gift-giving failure.

Yet these folks?  They are the ones who just made sure my kids would not have to suffer through Ebeneezer Mommy for the next few days.  They are the Tiny Tims of the world, and I am delighted to know them.

So Merry Christmas and God bless us...everyone!

27 comments:

  1. Hilarious posting! I too am guilty of being a little Scrooged this season. :/ Mine is a combination of menopausal hormones, a little why can't I find everything in the same store? and just WTH is a Skylander? Just who will actually appreciate the gifts and that I avoided several collisions today in my endeavor to get what was on their lists! Wishing you and your family a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Safe New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gossip Grl! I usually turn to Amazon for most of my gift-giving, but with the Mayan Apocolypse, I put everything off. Boy am I paying the price! You have a merry Christmas as well and love to all!

      Delete
  2. There is just one reason I am glad we don't live near each other...and that is that I would never leave your kitchen table or couch, and I would feel even further behind...unless I brought my cookies to your place to frost? Yes, that would definitely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'd eat a lot of baked goods and work on a book involving 101 Poop Jokes.

      We'd be fabulous.

      Thanks again for the great laugh, Andrea!!

      Delete
  3. I neeeeeeeeed that shirt.
    Please wear it to Blogher.
    And bring me a spare.
    So we can wear it there.
    Together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Promise me you'll claim me if I wear it. I fear a parting of the seas wherever I go at BlogHer the second I put it on.

      Eh. Who cares? I'd still be smiling.

      Delete
  4. The t-shirt has a punctuation error. Should be an exclamation point. I mean it is the most exciting part of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL on the shirt!! So sweet with the other goodies! Hard time of year to have repairs going on; you are a trooper for putting up with it indeed!! I hope you all have the most merriest of Christmases!!!

    (got the book one day last week; I want to say Wednesday; good customer service so far :)

    (haven't started the book yet; probably in the week ahead)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a wonderful Christmas, Betty, and may all your kindness and general do-gooding be rewarded tenfold this holiday season! You are a gem!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for making me laugh, I love reading your blog! Thanks to your husband, a real life hero for what he does, and I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandbox! Don't tell, but we're going to be surprising him at the firehouse tomorrow with cake! And taking lots of pictures of all the ridiculous mustaches they've grown for some contest. heh heh.

      Delete
  7. Aww, it's so nice to be appreciated and you know why? Because like L'Oreal, you're worth it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand ...really I do. I'm proud to say, we don't have one Christmas item up. Our home is also torn up for decorating an we're having the floors redone while away. I may do this every year if this is what it takes to not decorate. You should see the envy in my male friend's eyes when I told em I didn't decorate this year. I'm their hero. Still, my wife is already planning next year's holiday season, telling all we'll be hosting it......can't wait.

    MBF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like your wife and I share a brain. I have the same plans for next year - need to make up for this season's abysmal Christmas showing. Have a safe trip, MBF, and Merry Christmas!!

      Delete
  9. Marianne! I am so glad my magnets helped save Christmas. It's been a strange holiday season. I love the windows in your living room. So glad you finally got to decorate.

    Also, I think your kids might be artists...nice work, guys!

    That beaded lion is so cool. I will not rest until I get my hands on one. I may even start lying about my birthday...I can pretend to be a Leo for a while, right? Roar!

    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leos tend to be a little bossy, artistic, and quite magnanimous. We also possess a flair for the dramatic. I will make you an honory Leo immediately (waving my magic wand right now).

      Thank you again and have a very Merry Christams!

      Delete
  10. You should frame that portrait by Joey. It's priceless.
    Hope you all have a very happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be laminating it next week! Merry Christmas to you & yours, Jewels!!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only crabby one lately...haha...

    Hey, maybe I need to get that shirt for Mr. M...I would be SO proud if he wore it, cuz he's been having issues lately with going, and we have been trying EVERYTHING! :(

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it the best shirt EVER??? Every time I look at it, I laugh all over again.

      Have a wonderful Christmas & I'm looking forward to the pictures! Take a TON! For me!

      Delete
  12. I had been feeling the bah humbug as well. Stupid Christmas. Then I got some sweet early gifts too and felt better, like you. That's what we have in common, I guess. We can be bought. It's not a bad thing.

    I love the way your living room is shaping up. Beautiful paint color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so easily bought. Like a box of Oreos could buy you my eternal friendship and goodwill.

      Glad you got pulled out of your rut as well! And thank you for liking the green (my favorite color). Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  13. My son gets angry at me for giving gift cards. Not sure if I am just not thoughtful or lazy. I think I know that I am both, but glad to hear I am not the only one!

    Have a great Christmas! One day when I am not so lazy I will send you a shirt that says, "Hooked on Crack You Whip." I keep saying I'm gonna print them up...

    ReplyDelete
  14. At least you are smiling in your "cranky mommy" portrait!!! You have some amazing friends! Especially the neighbor who brings you alcohol. I might need to consider a move to your neighborhood. And, by the way, the painting on your mantle of the man and woman dancing - one of my ALL TIME faves!!!! hugs! Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like some great people to have in your life! My friend dropped off cake and whoopie pies on my doorstep Monday morning. It worked out great since with the flu-nado that hit our house not only did we put them out for Santa but also we through a candle in a pie for Henry's bday party this week as well. These are the kind of friends we need!

    ReplyDelete