Sunday, October 28, 2012

Out of My Gourd

Does anyone else remember that classic Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles?" It's the one where the U.S.S. Enterprise is nearly overrun with fast-multiplying little fuzzballs called "tribbles." 

I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but that episode always stuck with me.  I fear it was intended to warn me of things to come. 

My first purchase was a few fun little gourds:

Jack couldn't be persuaded to exchange the straw hat guy for a pilgrim man to complete the Thanksgiving theme.  Stubborn.

Next, I received a flyer in the mail about our bank giving away free pumpkins.  When have I ever turned down free crap?  We stopped by immediately:

Jack and Joey were caught with Sharpies.  Danny piped in, "I wanted to tell them to stop, mom, but you're always reminding me that I'm 'not the mother.'"

Factor in a visit to the pumpkin patch and a couple more pumpkins:

I tried sneaking in a high-zoom photo of Daniel from across the farm, and the kid caught me.  Not only does he hate having his picture taken, but he has a sixth sense for cameras.  It's making it very difficult to document his childhood.
...and then there's Joey who would rather have his picture taken than go to Chuck E. Cheese.
Add another school field trip to the patch, some gifts from family, and without warning, I understood the trouble with tribbles:



I can hear them laughing at night.  They are also plotting.  I think they might know what I did to their kin:


Tribbles are delicious.

28 comments:

  1. LOL; I truly needed this laugh I'm laughing so thank you for sharing this! I love the punch line! Fine looking pumpkins you have accumulated. I have to say Trouble With Tribbles is the only Star Trek episode that stands out for me too! Maybe bribe your child that doesn't like pictures taken? It works for a corgi :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Betty. We've tried promising him a puppy and it doesn't work. He may be a vampire.

      Glad to provide a laugh!

      Delete
  2. Tribbles ARE delicious.
    Well, I guess your kids got the crafty gene! ;)
    I just think of Shatner in that Star Trek outfit and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always had a bit of thing for Mr. Spock myself.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'd share some, but you know how that worked out....

      Delete
  4. oh crap. I just realised I haven't gotten a single pumpkin. craaaaaaaap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is that even possible? You're like 10x's the mother I am. I know, you've been doing all kinds of crafty projects and trips instead, right? You don't have to spare my feelings.

      Delete
  5. Hahahaha I love their little kinda creepy faces! Oh man I miss America and your love of this season!!!

    Love Elle xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were kinda cute, no?

      I'm seeming them in a whole new sinister light now!

      Delete
  6. Sweet hay-seuss! I see pumpkin fritters in your future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd bet $100 you have a recipe?

      Tell me I only need like 2 ingredients and I'm in!

      Delete
  7. Oh my gourd! You need to squash this invasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never let me down, Andrea. And I hear a little New Jersey in that accent of yours?

      Delete
    2. I was born there and stayed until I was 3...oh no...do you think it's a once a Jersey girl, always a Jersey girl? Where is my reality tv show? I haven't worked with my heritage enough!

      Delete
  8. Send some my way! Somehow it's two days before Halloween and I've only managed to accumulate one uncarved tribble. Pumpkin. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. One? Now that sounds like heaven. I'm not looking forward to the looks I get from the garbage men in a few days....

      Delete
  9. Wow, that's a lot of pumpkins! Those ones with faces kind of scare me though...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Free pumpkins? Sheesh. My kids would be so jealous. I bought one. Yep, one. I really HATE carving pumpkins. The insides make my arms break out. And it's gross. Maybe I should just give them some sharpies. That looks like a good idea.

    (I loved Joe's review of Chicago Fire. I'll admit, I watched the first episode wondering what he would think.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We carved last night - a lot harder than I remember! Glad you enjoyed Joe's review! What did you think???

      Delete
    2. Mmm, felt a bit too 'soap-opera-ey' to me.

      Delete
  11. We just came home today with 3 more (free) pumpkins from Isabelle's school. We'll also be getting 3 more tomorrow at Henry's (Fall Festival postponed a day due to Sandy). They are taking over our house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are terrible! hahah...eating the Tribbles. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmm...so, how many pumpkin pies did you make from that pile of pumpkins? Or perhaps the question should be...how many pies did you eat? LOL... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time we carved them, I'm not sure how "fresh" their innards were.

      Then there's the fact that I don't cook mucking things up as well.

      Delete