Sunday, October 7, 2012

Stumped

The wonderful world of blogging has gifted me with all kinds of interesting, funny, and thoughtful people from so many different places.  Most bloggers have learned to disguise these relationships when speaking of them to non-bloggers.  We don't want to appear weird when we recap the funny things that happened to our "friends." 

We never admit that we've never actually met our "friends." Yet we can easily recite their kids' names, television viewing habits, and most-treasured hobbies. I rely on my blog buddies quite regularly for a quick pick-me-up on days when I'm feeling a little wiped or in need of laugh.

This morning was one such example. I spent much of the day at a crowded school pool watching my sons' first swim meet. By the time we arrived home from the event, my lungs were on fire. I apparently have more sensitivity to chlorine than your average bear. 

I became a bit depressed, wondering how I could transform my kids into the next Michael Phelps with a chlorine allergy and an inability to attend their meets.  I checked my mail as I walked in the front door and found an extra-padded envelope. And when I opened it? You'll never guess:


It was from Andrea at Maybe It's Just Me (she is one of my favorite bloggers and I get excited every time I see a new post from her). She had read my ramblings about my love for Box Tops and felt compelled to drop her stash in the post to yours truly.

I was touched. As I know Andrea's birthday is coming up, I wanted to do something special in return. I remembered her funny blog about this ugly monkey doll:

Photo courtesy of Andrea who I hope won't sue me
I thought it would be great coup on my part to surprise her with the horribly hairy little  "Leila." 

I assumed something of this...er..."quality" would naturally retail for $19.99 plus S&H. 

Nope.

Ugly monkey doll is $149.99 plus S&H.

Now I know that Andrea doesn't really want this thing.  She is worth every bit of the $149.99, but not for a gag gift that she'd probably hide away from the world, respectful of the likelihood of it frightening small children.

But this whole thing has got me wondering two things:

(A)  Who out there is actually paying $149.99 for ugly monkey doll?

and

(B)  NOW what am I supposed to get Andrea?

Feel free to send suggestions to mostlymarianne@gmail.com.
 

26 comments:

  1. A hundred and fifty bucks!!! Jeez, for that price I'd want it to be and ACTUAL baby chimp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one expensive doll! Sadly someone must be buying them at that price......wonder how many Christmas lists such a doll is on?

    It is a wonderful community out here with blogging, isn't it? It is hard though to explain it to someone who doesn't blog. They do indeed think we are a bit "odd" but really, I love it!

    (and yes, Koda does lead a charmed life; several other people in posts past have expressed they would like to be Koda; he really is too spoiled :)

    Swimming is a great exercise!! Son had a friend who was a swimmer when we lived in Montana. He swam 2 hours every day and was thin as a rail and boy could he EAT!!

    have a great Sunday!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty. As a non-swimmer (and potential drowner), I really wanted my boys to be strong swimmers. I've had some sensitivity to chlorine in the past (my skin would turn red, I'd feel a little tight in the chest), but holy cow. Saturday was horrible! I think it was the length of the exposure. Next time, I'll be hanging out with Joey outside the pool area while raiding the vending machines. And thank you for being one of my mysterious "blog friends." Well...you AND Koda.

      Delete
  3. Little Lu Lu and Baby Babu were, sadly, no cheaper if I remember correctly. The funny thing (yeah, cuz it wasn't funny enough yet) is that they are advertised in the coupon section...so that frightens me to think that thrifty folks are so taken in that they use their coupon savings to buy scary a** monkeys?! Anyways...How about if you send me an autographed post-it note for me to plaster in my copy of your book when I buy it!? If you can get a post-it from MOV too, it'll cover Christmas as well! Much love friend! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coupon section? So is there a correlation between bargain shoppers and scary ass monkey doll enthusiasts? Because then I would be a potential scary ass monkey doll buyer! Who knew?

      Your wish is my command....but I'm still googling several scary ass monkey options.

      Delete
  4. I'd say self addressed stamped envelopes to ensure more surprises!

    XOXO

    Megs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad ugly monkey doll is so expensive....I'm sure she would love it. ;)

    Yay for surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, in lieu of one battery-operated monkey, I was going to suggest another--the incredibly creepy cymbal-banging monkey--but guess what? Those are hard-to-find collector's items themselves! (What is it with people overpaying for monkeys?) Might I suggest a nice sock monkey instead? Throw in a pacifier, and it'll be like having Leila's less-ugly cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leila's less-ugly cousin may do. Let's see if there are any on ebay...

      Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  7. even if I did have that $ to spare, I wouldn't .
    blogging friends are real...i pray for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, but how funny would an ugly monkey doll be to rec'v in the mail?? Almost worth it!

      Keep praying for me - I need it!

      Delete
  8. Holy crap - $149.99?! It had better come with a year's supply of bananas, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! There has got to be a marketing profile for the people that buy this thing. I'd pay to see THAT!

      Delete
  9. My grandma had a penchant for those expensive magazine 'deals'. She didn't ever buy a monkey, but had shelves of pricey dolls. She also had the money to spare.
    I'd check the local thrift store, you could probably find an equally creepy toy to send. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jewels. I'm heading to one this weekend to see what I can find. Keep your fingers crossed!

      Delete
  10. Oh seriously?! Who has that kind of money?! Has she written any other posts with hint hints?

    P.S. Papa is Preacher would like to cordially invite you to our very first Link Up party beginning tomorrow (Thursday) at 9:30 a.m. going 'till Tuesday. Please see this post for more info: http://papaisapreacher.blogspot.ca/2012/10/tidbit-thursday.html
    We'd really be honored to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Larissa! I'll check it out!

      Delete
  11. So incredibly creepy! Yowza!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some people have too much money and not enough sense...mind you I reckon the market wouldn't be a big one anyway and it makes me think ... 'surely there's something I can peddle to make a living if there are customers for this thing?'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary amardillo dolls? It's gotta be a winner, right?

      Delete
  13. That monkey doll...I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete