Friday, October 26, 2012

Joe's Review of "Chicago Fire"

I apologize to all those who have been anxiously awaiting Joe's reaction to the new NBC series Chicago Fire.  I am delayed in reporting back because I wouldn't allow my husband to watch the DVR'ed first episode without me and my trusty pen set to record his every thought.

As a Chicago fireman, Joe refuses to suspend disbelief for purposes of network television (see related blog here).  Joe is also incapable of remaining quiet about his dissatisfaction regarding any and all perceived inaccuracies. 

It was the perfect storm to showcase the glory that is my husband.  I decided to let the man's words speak for themselves:

Scene: Firefighters sit relaxed on the way to a fire, wearing t-shirts and suspenders: 

What the f*ck?  Nobody's wanting to get ready? Put their gear on maybe?  Or are they on their way to a cotillion?

Scene: While arriving at a burning building, firefighters banter even as a person is reported trapped in the building: 

Take your time, fellas. It's not like it's a FIRE or anything.

Scene: Young Firefighter Darden is killed tragically at the blaze:

I guess Darden wasn't to have a big role in this show?

Paramedics and firefighters continue to report for work at all different times of day and night:

Doesn't anybody work a full 24-hour shift at this house? What the hell. I guess it's half-days for everyone!

Scene:  A new firefighter is shown wearing a "CANDIDATE" t-shirt with the words clearly printed across it:

Look at you with your fancy candidate shirt! Yeah. We don't have those.

Scene: Yet another fire:

The smoke on this show is great. You can see everything perfectly. I gotta find out what we're doing wrong, because I've NEVER seen that kind of magic-ass smoke.  

Scene:  The show's "chief" races to leave a charity boxing match he's been participating in while still wearing his boxing gear.  He arrives at the latest SUPER-fire:

Oh, look. He's coming from the boxing ring now. Are there NO OTHER CHIEFS IN THE CITY???

Scene:  Two more firefighters fall through a floor of a burning building:

Man. These are some bad luck firemen.  I'd be looking for a transfer by now.  And eating a whole lotta Lucky Charms.

Scene:  A hospital, where a previously-introduced paramedic stops a doctor to inquire about the health of a little girl she had brought in earlier.  The doctor flips through his clipboard and updates her:

I see. He's got the status of EVERY patient in the ENTIRE hospital right there. That's some clipboard. Better than a Smartphone.




So when it was over, I asked Joe what kind of "official review" I could provide to my readership.  His response?

Tell 'em it didn't suck as much as I thought it would.  But "Rescue Me" was way funnier, and the guys looked like real firemen.  These ones?  They're practically flexing for the camera.  It's ridiculous.

As Joe headed up to bed, I was sure to DVR the rest of the season.  I think I may institute a new drinking game based on every gratuitous shirtless firemen scene.  I'll be smashed before the first commercial break.

Not that I'm complaining. 

26 comments:

  1. Thank you Joe for being a true fireman and keeping your shirt on at fires LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is joe looking to find out which Chicago fire house the show used for their research? In addition to searching for the elusive smoke in a can? Glad your house has its own true hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The engine number they give on the show doesn't exist, but Joe did recognize some REAL firemen cast in the 2nd episode. Nifty!

      Delete
  3. Yay, Joe! That's my kind of review! (And they're SHIRTLESS??? Why was I not informed of this?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I failed to keep you informed, Kirby! Won't happen again. (:

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You can see him saying it, right, Mar? I only wish I would've captured his expression on film, too.

      Delete
  5. I was gonna say the same thing Mary!! Magic-ass smoke!! Oh Joe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait - shirtless firemen? When's this show on?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have a tough time suspending my disbelief at certain shows and movies so your hubs perspective really cracked me up. I always want to know what someone in the field thinks of the TV version of their career. Us dummies who are not in the know can sure be taken for a ride I guess. Guess that's the magic of television. Time to get that magic smoke!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They haven't done a realistic show on the insurance industry, so I can't relate. It's almost like they believe insurance is too boring! I could totally change their minds. NBC...call me!

      Delete
  8. When I saw this show being advertised, I was wondering if we would get a review from your hubby; I was not disappointed! Great review, LOL. Now I'm not sure that I really want to watch the shoe, except the fact of the shirtless scenes......that could be worth watching!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was waiting for this!!! Weekly recap post, has your hubbies name all over it.
    Drinking game?Godd idea Marianne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nothing if not a good drinking-game inventor. (:

      Delete
  10. I'm trying to figure out why you aren't on my blog list...I added you manually so stay put, mkay? I've been missing out.
    I have this show recorded because the guys are hot, but I haven't watched it yet. Thanks for the review, Joe. Now I can fast forward to the shirtless moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to stay put! People seem to get dropped on both ends quite a bit - stupid technology.

      And tell me you're teasing about the fast-forwarding!

      Delete
  11. I thought the ads for the show seemed cheesy. Although beef-cakey. I often wonder what real docs/cops/firemen think of shows about their work. My husband is a manager for Home Depot, and I imagine shows about retail would be lame too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband is a manager at Home Depot??? Tell me he's handy, too!

      A show about a handy Home Depot manager is way sexier than stupid ole firemen. Imagine all the shelves you'd get hung!!

      Delete
  12. Magic ass smoke - awesome. My husband's a firemedic here in CA and we have the same inability to suspend reality in our house. Hilarious! Don't think we'll be watching that show anytime soon. He was a huge fan of Rescue Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This made me laugh! My husband was an MP in the USMC and when NCIS came out he watched with much complaint and snide remarks...now it is one of our favorite shows :)

    ReplyDelete