Friday, May 27, 2011

Redefining Happiness - A Top 10 List (more or less)

Thank you my wonderful band of loyal followers for helping me get above 2,000 hits in my first two months of blogging!  It was a high point this week.  I'd like to take a moment to celebrate the people and events that have redefined what makes a good day in the life of this mom.

10.  My mom.  She came over in the middle of a tornado watch to do my closets.  The official cold-to-warm weather transfer of seasonal clothes to new drawers is a task most moms dread.  Naturally, I bring in reinforcements.  My mom is a master organizer and clothes-folder.  I wish I would have taken a "before" shot of the boys' closets.  Balled-up sweaters and t-shirts jammed between widowed socks were the norm.  I now have beautifully organized closets and perfectly folded garments to start each morning on a high.  I could almost go without coffee.  Almost.

9.  Bridesmaids movie and dinner with the girls.  I know I already posted about this, but having friends in life who seem to like me even though I'm often unlikable is a blessing.  I had to throw in the "blessing" part because you know that Atheist-Friend is reading this.  I also think she's getting a little annoyed that her moniker is "Atheist-Friend."  She can't understand how her godlessness is just hilarious to me.  I could call her tall, skinny, works-out-way-too-much friend, but what's funnier than an Atheist?  Anyone?  Bueller?   

8. Dexter. I'm in love with this serial killer. Dry, funny, and murderous. Season 2 was enjoyed after an emergency run to Baskin-Robbins courtesy of my husband who was trying to get me to forget his unwillingness to take pictures for my playground blog. Best line of Season 2? Said internally by Dexter as he watches his sister drink from the orange juice container and leave his place in shambles: "I will not kill my sister, I will not kill my sister....."

7.  The end of the boys' ice hockey (for now anyway).  After a long grueling season of packing up endless equipment and uncooperative boys, ice hockey is finally over until the fall.  My husband keeps trying to convince me that I secretly enjoy ice hockey.  I secretly squeeze the toothpaste from right in the middle of the tube every time he says that.  I would like to thank Mr. L for single-handedly preventing my nervous breakdown by lacing up Danny & Jack for most of the season.  His wife Mrs. L. is also my hero for keeping Joey from escaping to the parking lot every week while I bought a glass of wine to calm my nerves.  Because I secretly love ice hockey.

6.  Joey Mcintrye  Because every tired mom in need of a tummy tuck after 3 c-sections deserves a little fantasy now and then. 

5.  My blog readers.  There have been a few times where I think I'm fooling myself trying to maintain a blog for a year.  Yet right when the white Rocky boxing towel is about to be thrown, someone posts a comment or emails me some encouragement.  While Atheist-Friend has her yoga and swim classes to help provide an escape for an often thankless job, I have this.  And you guys.  Thank you!!

1.  Mrs. S.  For those of you doing the math, I'm getting very tired and I don't think I can get all the way through 4, 3, 2, and 1.  Plus, I really should have made my mom like number 2 or 3 because I really hate doing that clothes stuff.  But it's getting late and I wanted to be sure to mention my son's kindergarten teacher, Mrs. S.  Jack has been talking to Mrs. S all season about his last day of hockey.  On the last day, all the players get to have a game on "the big ice" (largest rink).  Lo and behold, Mrs. S. arrives tonight at Southwest Ice Arena to bear witness to this momentous day in a five-year-old's life.  Mrs. S. works full-time and has her own children, yet she took time out of her crazy busy life to make a memorable day even more special for Jack.  I can't think of any better person to be teaching my son about life, learning, and how we should walk this earth.  

As a side note, the liquor booth at ice hockey was closed tonight and I fear the wonderful lady who hands me a glass of red and a giant cookie to keep Joey occupied might be ill.  Here's hoping that wherever she is tonight, she knows that if I was alert enough, I'd put her pretty high on my list as well.

Have a great weekend everyone - let's be careful out there.

2 comments:

  1. OMG...I can't believe Jack's teacher showed up for his last day of hockey!! That is amazing. She must be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's the best. We are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete