Friday, November 16, 2012

Marianne to Appear on WGN Radio 720

I'm on the hook for some major do-gooding.  Like donating blood, saving orphans and curing lupus kinds of things.

What have I done now, you ask?

Nothing.  Well, just the regular stuff, really.  I got the back of my  neck waxed for my upcoming bridesmaid gig.  We're all sporting updo's.  I have a monkey neck.  I would have taken pictures to prove my point, but I figured some of you might be eating. 

Anyhoo, the fates and fabulous blogger Cathy Cassani Adams bestowed yet another incredible opportunity upon my undeserving butt yesterday.  It involves a radio appearance and quite possibly some alcohol.

The only microphone I should ever consider using.

But wait.  Let me introduce Cathy before I get ahead of myself (from her official bio):

Cathy Cassani Adams is a parenting expert and self-awareness teacher who supports parents in uncovering their authentic selves and inner joy so they can raise their children in a calm, loving, and supportive environment. She is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, a PCI Certified Parent Coach®, a Certified Elementary School Teacher and a Certified Yoga Teacher.

Cathy is Adjunct Faculty in the Sociology Department at Dominican University, she received her Master’s in Social Work from Loyola University, and her Bachelor’s in Elementary Education from Drake University.  

Cathy is the author of The Self-Aware Parent and The Self-Aware Parent Two and she co-hosts Zen Parenting Radio with her husband Todd.  She teaches yoga at her local studio. 

Impressive, right?

All educated and licensed and adjuncted.  Warm and insightful.  A YOGA lover.

Yeah, I avoided Cathy at first, too.  She was a fellow blogger on Chicago Parent before she scooched over to Chicago Now.  But I decided to check my cynicism at the door and give some of her ideas a whirl.

The "be in the moment" stuff.  The "keep your children emotionally safe" stuff.

It was hard for a mom who occasionally threatened to send her kids to the orphanage.

But her ideas held water.  In difficult situations, the my-way-or-the-highway approach failed.  Cathy's way yielded a calmer Marianne and more reasonable children.

Go figure.

After becoming a reluctant convert to some of Cathy's thinking, I pretty much assumed she used my blog as a case study on how NOT to parent.  All of my over-scheduling and over-reacting?  Not Cathy's style.

But guess what she went and did?

As a frequent guest on Bill Moller's WGN Radio 720  show, Cathy displays inordinate knowledge and poise during each appearance. 

And then she recommended the anti-Cathy to Bill.  The one person who doesn't know the difference between downward facing dog and a push-up.  Yours truly. 

For those interested in hearing me screw up any chances of ever appearing on The View, check out WGN Radio 720 (link to listen live)  at 10:30 am-ish (CENTRAL) this Saturday.   I have a feeling I may go down as the most frenetic interviewee ever.

Not counting Charlie Sheen.

Which brings me back to the alcohol.

Sadly, I depleted my supply getting the old neck waxed (Revolutionary War anesthesia, I'm told).  There are a lot of nerves in your neck.

No matter.  Thank you, Cathy.  For this amazing opportunity. 

I will try very hard to be "in the moment." 

And I pray whoever controls the BLEEP button has very fast hands.


(If unable to listen live, I may be able to link to a podcast later.  Please note that I am often an unintelligible blur of rapid-fire ideas and words strung together with caffeine and Red Bull. Advise your doctor of any history of high blood pressure or seizure disorder before tuning in).

31 comments:

  1. There is so much coolness in the post I do not know where to start! I have to admit I read it twice... Partly because I had tears in my eyes from laughing at your monkey neck and partly because I need to know all of Cathy's information because I too threaten the orphanage... To my husband now but Ollie is working his way into daddy's packed bag. I will be listening! Break a leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Despite the pain, the new neck is awesome. Smooth as a baby's butt.

      Delete
  2. Have fun with it and good luck! Hope they don't have to bleep you too much! I would listen to the podcast later if you can post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to bleep me. I had a full 60 seconds of "uhhhhhhhh."

      Next time, I'm drinking wine as intended.

      Delete
  3. Woohoo!!!! Please post a link to your podcast because I know I'll forget! If it doesn't show up on my DVR, it doesn't happen. I'm one of those special sorts that forgets to eat.

    Speaking of being "self-aware", Liz from Flourish in Progress once wrote " I'm self aware but underdeveloped ". It is one of my favorite quotes.

    In other news.... I've got no other news.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the quote! So using it!

      The interview was a full 10 minutes of me panicking. But still fun! And I got to plug the book!

      Delete
  4. I hope the five second delay works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and you'd still hear me going "uhhhhhhh....."

      I was AWESOMELY bad. But if you're going to do something, go all the way, right?

      Delete
  5. Very cool on both the neck waxing and the radio show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neck is good. The show?

      Epic Fail.

      But at least I'm consistent?

      Delete
  6. How cool is that? You've totally reached celebrity status now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may need to go into witness protection now....

      Delete
  7. Marianne - this is such a nice post. As I said before, you are so good at what you do - you put others as ease, normalize challenging situations, and most important, you share your humorous viewpoint (and we parents definitely need more humor...we gotta laugh or cry!). I will be sitting next to my radio cheering you on tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I reviewed your rebroadcasts, I was like "how is she that calm and poised?"

      And now that I've filled the airspace with "uhhhhs" and assorted rambling, I am in even greater awe.

      Tell me your secret. There was wine, wasn't there? You can tell me.

      Delete
  8. What a great adventure this would be! I do hope you can link the podcast afterwards so we can hear it!! Good luck with it; you'll do great!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misadventure may be the more appropriate term. But thank you!!

      Delete
  9. You are so funny. I hope I get to listen live and if not there better be a podcast. I will hold my breath until I get one...hunger strike even.

    P.S. I have monkey neck too. Neck waxing sounds painful. I am crying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hunger strike!

      The waxing wasn't as bad as you'd think. But then I have a high tolerance for pain.

      As in, that radio interview was PAINFUL. But you're still here, right? Lillian?

      LILLIAN????

      Delete
  10. Orphanage?! Amateur. I have The Gypsies on speed dial on my cell phone. (They will come to our house or meet us wherever we need them. It's quite convenient.) ;)

    But seriously, go you!! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You use the gypsies, too!?! My kids didn't believe there were actual gypsies until my European friend assured them they were real!

      And thank you!

      Delete
  11. Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh! How exciting!

    Neck waxing? Up-do? You are one fancy lady Marianne Walsh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am practically the Queen the England!

      Had this interview been for next Saturday morning, I would have shown up in a gown with my updo and tried to convince the host that this was how I always dressed!

      Delete
  12. Podcast! Podcast! Because you totally crack me up. And I need me some belly-gut laughin'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations and HOW exciting.

    I want what you have: to speak rapid fire and cover all areas.

    I stop, talk much to slowly, remain silent until I find just the right word.

    And, yeah, I sound like I'm on valium.

    And that's ON the bean.

    xo

    Podcast, if you can??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to be a slower, more deliberate speaker! You are lucky! Half the planet doesn't understand me.

      And thank you!

      Delete
  14. Shoot! I missed it...count on my vote too for a podcast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the interview!!! (And the neck waxing...;) And, I vote too for a podcast!!! :)
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am new here, but I must say that I very much appreciate and identify with your position (heh) on yoga. If I were to try downward facing dog, it would rapidly BECOME a push-up, because I would be pushing myself up off the floor where I landed face-first. Absolutely no doubt.

    ReplyDelete