Monday, January 20, 2014

A Tale of Two Wedding Anniversaries

Without going into too much complicated detail, Joe and I have two wedding anniversaries.  They are several months apart.

This has led to years of ongoing confusion about expectations and acknowledgment.

Joe prefers to celebrate our church wedding where friends and family were there to witness two sordid Catholic souls coming together as a single lapsed one.


I, on the other hand, prefer to honor our earlier legal union.  That way, I am granted full credit for time served.

This unsettled dispute, combined with our inability to keep track of things, has resulted in many missed anniversaries.

I realized just today that we completely forgot our milestone 10 year anniversary (the "legal" one).  This is the one I was responsible for commemorating.  I texted my husband at a fundraiser tonight:

MARIANNE: Happy late 10 year anniversary.  Wow.  That one sucked.

JOE: You're right.  I'm sorry.  Happy anniversary.  I won't be out late if you want to have a few drinks.

MARIANNE: Who is this and what did u do with Joe??  10 years is aluminum.  I used the last of our Reynolds Wrap for Jack's diorama.

JOE: Beer comes in aluminum.

MARIANNE: Works for me.  We need bread for lunches tomorrow.  Stop at the store for me?

Joe: 10-4.

Better than roses if you ask me.  Especially when delivered by this guy:


Happy belated 10 years, Joe!  May it be the first of many! (or in our case, two).

23 comments:

  1. Happy belated first of the 10 year anniversaries! Loved the wedding picture of two of you. He's a keeper!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Awe...love your wedding photo! Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the anniversary AND not being a slave to the Hallmark company! Love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, love that picture. Happy 10 years, or almost 10 years. Whatever. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! We're slowly catching up to you guys. But I guess "catching up" is mathematically impossible. Meh, I'll keep trying!

      Delete
  5. What is 11?
    It better be "wine bottle" or we aren't celebrating.
    Happy Anniversary love birds!
    I think you need to celebrate with two other fun people at the Shanty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastically romantic story! Seriously. That's the stuff of life, right there. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your texting is hilarious! What are you going to do for the "two sordid Catholic souls" celebration? Hope we get to read all about it here! I would think that since the sons are in a Catholic school now, that the boys might give you some real special surprises if you hint around to them. Maybe they can play their instruments for you or get the school to come and serenade you with your wedding songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Vegas this summer is probably not the Catholic thing to do then? ;) Thanks, Carol!!

      Delete
  8. Awwn...Happy anniversary to both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated! (Or early...) Such a beautiful bride!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Joe wants you to know he's cute, too. ;)

      Delete
  10. The whole post is hilarious, but the texting exchange is priceless! Thanks for the laughs today. (And yes, I need to check in more often.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 10 years is aluminum? I guess we're opting for an aluminum JET for our get-away vacay...a girl can dream can't she? 10 years of hilarious together-ness. You two are awesome-sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice idea for planning wedding anniversaries plan in wedding planner app was so easy for get wedding vendors easy

    ReplyDelete