Sunday, May 11, 2014

Passing Days & Dandelion Bouquets

With each passing year, I watch as my children grow and mature. I am amazed and proud at how they demonstrate consideration, maturity, and independence. They are truly fantastic boys.

And yet.

I still look back nostalgically on those early years of parenting when my babies' needs were endless and I measured my time in feedings and diaper changes. Exhausted, I would complain to my husband about how much easier things would be once our children slept through the night, were potty-trained, or headed off to school.

Joe would gently suggest that I stop wishing away the days, for they would be gone far too fast.

I never believed him.


Yesterday, my older two sons had a baseball game. As I set up my favorite folding chair, I gave my youngest son, Joey, permission to play at the nearby park.  The dynamics of Little League have always held me rapt, so I was relieved Joey would be distracted with friends, swings, and monkey bars. 

As the game ended, I looked around for "my baby" who was collecting a bouquet of dandelions for Mother's Day.  Joey marched towards me, handed over his offerings, and informed me I was the most beautiful woman he had ever met.

That was when reality hit me like a ton of bricks.

My baby is nearly seven. Seven is the age of reason. Seven is when kids commence rolling their eyes, refusing to cuddle, and criticizing their mothers' wardrobe selections. Seven is when a little boy stops believing his mother is, in fact, the most beautiful woman in the entire world.

Most tragic of all?  Seven year olds rarely pick their mothers dandelion bouquets.

I forced myself to shake off the sadness.  This inevitable evolution of children was beyond my control.  I reminded myself there would still be plenty of wonderful mothering moments ahead.

But in my heart, I cherished my bright bunch of crushed weeds just a little bit longer, and held onto them just a little bit tighter.

For these days did go by far too quickly.

No matter how much I wish they hadn't.

 

15 comments:

  1. Those age guidelines aren't set in stone, and if anyone's boys can bend the rules...Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Amen! Let's make that so! And Happy Mother's Day to you, Andrea!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to swear here: You made me fucking cry. DAMNIT. Because, yes. I am there, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No crying. Just drinking. I keep threatening to make them sleep with a brick on their heads, but they're not going for it.

      Delete
  3. I hear ya, Marianne. Too fast, yes. But so many good things to come, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the baby Joey video and your sentiments here, Marianne. Was that your mother or mother-in-law in the video?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! That is my mom - she has a gift with making babies crack up!

      Delete
    2. Okay, and she passed humor on to you. I bet she is humorous when she talks about your childhood!

      Delete
  5. There is nothing better than the sound of a baby's belly laugh! And my son remained sweet and affectionate well into his teens...he would give me hugs all the time and say, "I love you mom." Breaks my heart to think about it. :)

    Happy belated Mother's Day!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andi! Joey has always been my most affectionate and loving, good to know it might last a little longer!

      Delete
  6. OMG Marianne, I just wrote a post today about something similar.
    ITS LIKE WE SHARE A BRAIN.
    I am crying.
    ARE YOU HAPPY??
    I love that you love to be around your kids as much as I do.
    And I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now I have to go check it out! And I totally love you, too. Like more than Kit Kats.

      Delete
  7. such a precious video!!! Our babies grow up too fast, even though when they are little, we want them older NOW. When my oldest turned 7, he received his first communion, and I remember thinking, he's at the age of reason, he's beginning to really understand right from wrong and be held accountable. Was a teary moment for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you, Mare! Can we just slow down the next few months so Joey just never turns 7?

      Delete